Assam

NRC Final Draft Released in Assam Amid Tight Security, Around 40 Lakh People Left Out of The List



New Delhi, July 30: The final draft of Assam’s National Register of Citizens (NRC) was released on Monday amid tight security. After releasing the much-awaited list, touted to be a proof of Assamese identity, Registrar General Sailesh, NRC state coordinator Prateek Hajela and joint secretary (NE) of the Ministry of Home Affairs Satyendra Garg addressed a press conference and informed that 40 lakh people were left out of the final draft of NRC.

“Out of 3.29 crore people, 2.89 crore have been found eligible to be included. This is just a draft, and not the final list,” said Registrar General Sailesh while addressing media.

Talking about people whose names did not appear in the final draft, Sailesh said, “The process for making claims and objections will begin on August 30 and continue till September 28. Adequate and ample scope will be given to people for making objections. No genuine Indian citizen should have any fear.”

The application process for the NRC started in May 2015 and a total of 6.5 crore documents were received from 68.27 lakh families across Assam, he added.

Notably, people, whose names are not included in the final draft, will be provided adequate time period for claims and objections. Such people will have to apply in prescribed forms in their respective Sewa Kendras. Earlier on December 31, 2017, the first draft was published and the names of 1.9 crore of the 3.29 crore applicants were incorporated.

Meanwhile, the security forces across the state were kept on high alert. If TV reports are to be believed, section 144 has been imposed in few areas.  Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal had requested people to not believe in any rumours, which can incite violence. Earlier on Sunday, the Chief Minister had chaired an all-party meeting regarding the security measures.

“I feel that those people, whose name is not included in the list, need not have to worry because they too have a chance with ‘claim and objection’,” Sonowal had said after the meeting.

Opposition parties had also assured full support to the state government in maintaining law and order. “We have requested to government to ensure that no leader tries to make statements which can make the people of Assam feel insecure about their constitutional rights. The government has assured us the same. Also, we want to request to the people to not believe in any rumour and have full faith in the judiciary,” Congress leader Apurbo Bhattacharya had said yesterday.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top